Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom

We're heading down south today (after we go bowling, eat at John's Incredible Pizza, and visit the Bugseum at Insect Lore in Shafter).

I'll be spending the next three days in sunny Anaheim, CA with Jeff's parents, aunt and uncle, sister and brother-in-law, and niece and nephew. For those of you keeping score, that's an adult to child ratio of 4:1. In honor of our yearly trip to the Disneyland and California Adventure theme parks, I thought we should look back on the highlights from the past few years.

  • Two years ago we were all in the elevator at the hotel headed to Disneyland for the day. My mother-in-law, Martha, asked my nephew, "Where are we going, Jason?" "Down."

  • When Jason was first learning to read, he read us all the sign posted at the entrance to Disneyland. "Disneyland Whores... Open from nine to midnight" That certainly paints the Disney princesses in a new light.

  • Last year Jeff and his brother-in law, Jon learned the awkward truth that when riding the Matterhorn, the only seating options are: straddle or be straddled. Both of them are really eager to ride it again this year.

  • Two years ago, no one could figure out why Jason didn't want to go to Star Wars Jedi training. It seemed right up his alley. It took us all day to uncover that the poor kid knew that he would have to "fight" Darth Vader, and he was afraid he would die!

  • We were taking the kids to the Star Wars show once, and our brother-in-law, Jon, had on these goofy looking sunglasses. His wife had hounded him all day to take them off and throw them away, but the sunglasses never came off until Darth Vader came out. Apparently Jon didn't want Darth Vader to think he was a nerd! Too late, Jon. Sorry.

  • My father-in-law, Gary, told my then five-year-old niece, Josie, that he would buy her something at the princess store in Disneyland. When she entered the shop, she was so overwhelmed with all the toys and costumes that all she could say was, "I need...I need...I need..."

Well, we're hoping for plenty more memorable moments this year.

I'll leave you with a knock-knock joke compliments of my ten-year old nephew, Jason.

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Little old lady

Little old lady who?

I didn't know you could yodel!

No comments:

Post a Comment